Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation in Kansas: Part II

Injuries on the job can be devastating, leaving an employee unable to work, in pain, and traveling to and from doctor’s offices for sometimes extended periods of time.  Workers’ compensation is intended to provide injured employees with reliable coverage for their medical bills and lost wages stemming from an on the job injury.  However, the workers’ compensation system does not always make it easy for employees to obtain the benefits to which they are entitled.

In Part I of this two part series, we began our list of questions frequently asked by employees who have been injured on the job.  In this segment, we continue our list, delving further into some specifics concerning workers’ compensation in Kansas.

What types of injuries or illnesses are covered under workers’ compensation?

Virtually any type of work-related injury or illness will be covered by workers’ compensation.  Some commonly covered conditions include: back injuries, traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, wounds, bodily reactions to substances, burns, and repetitive stress injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome.

What is arising out and in the course of employment?

The only requirement for the injury or illness is that it must arise out of or in the course of employment.  “Rising out of” refers to some connection between the employment and the injury.  “In the course of” refers to injuries occurring while at work or during the course of work.  For instance, an employee who suffers from carpal tunnel due to typing at work has an injury that arose out of employment.  An employee who suffers an injury while punched in is in the course of their employment.

Do I need a workers’ compensation attorney to help me obtain the benefits to which I am entitled?

A workers’ compensation attorney can prove vital to navigating the intricate workers’ compensation system and fighting for your full coverage.  While not every injury will warrant the assistance of an attorney, those who have sustained a serious injury that will require time off work and significant medical expenses would be wise to consult with a workers’ compensation attorney from the start.

What if my claim for workers’ compensation is denied or not fully covered?

If your workers’ compensation claim has been denied or not fully covered, it does not mean you are out of options.  A workers’ compensation attorney can assist you in appealing the decision and obtaining your maximum coverage.

What if my injury was caused by a third party?

If your injury was not caused by another employee, but by a third party, you may be able to sue that third party outside of the workers’ compensation system.  Employees injured by a defective product or an at fault driver could seek recovery in separate action.  Your experienced workers’ compensation attorney can evaluate your case and determine all possible avenues for recovery.

Contact Kansas City Workers’ Compensation Attorney Michael R. Lawless Today for a Free Consultation

Workers’ compensation claims can be complex and stressful.  Those injured on the job may experience uncertainty as to whether they should file a workers’ compensation claim.  It is important that any injured worker fully understand their rights and obligations that are attached to filing a workers’ compensation claim before actually deciding to file a claim.  To better understand what to expect, and what you might receive after filing a workers’ compensation claim, you should consult with a Kansas Workers’ Compensation Lawyer right away.  Kansas workers’ compensation attorney Michael R. Lawless of Michael R. Lawless, PA, devotes his practice to helping injured clients get back on their feet.  To schedule a free consultation with Michael R. Lawless, contact our office today by calling locally at (913) 681-5566, or you may call us toll-free at (800) 734-3771.  You may also contact us online and we will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.