How to Handle Lost Wage Issues

People tend to call their worker’s compensation lawyer whenever they have questions about a lost wage check. One of the most common questions is when they will receive their check. You may have been hurt a couple of weeks ago, and are getting mail about your workman’s comp claim, yet you have not gotten a check yet. The answer to that question is that the insurance company must send you a check 21 days after the day you missed work, not including the your last day of work. There are some rules that go along with this.

You must miss 21 days in a row in order to receive compensation, if not then you will not be paid for the first 7 missed days. If you aren’t absent from work for 21 days straight, then you should expect to receive two weeks of benefits by the 21st day following the first day of work that you missed. These rules are regulations regarding workman’s comp issues are incredibly complicated and confusing. The regulations can become jumbled if a person doesn’t deal with these rules on a daily basis.

The law’s main goal is to find a balance between the worker who needs money to pay their bills and expenses and the insurance company who must conduct an investigation and make a payment plan. Timing is so vital in these cases. Many times, companies have a list of doctors that an employee can go to regarding their onsite injury. These doctors try their best to get the employee back to work as quickly as possible. Sometimes, it can even be at the expense of the patient. The doctor’s main concern is to get the worker back before the 21 days are up. This can result in problems in the workman’s comp case.

Insurance can manipulate the medical aspect to affect your lost wage reimbursements. This is a startling thought. The lost wage payments may be necessary to your family, and it can be easily manipulated by the system. Because of this, a lawyer may be helpful to ensure that your rights as well as your needs are taken care of.

Changes are constantly made within the field of employment, so if you plan on filing a workman’s compensation claim, it would be best to seek professional help. It is important to have someone on your side that knows the law and knows how to make it work for you. Michael R. Lawless, P.A., Attorney at Law specializes in these types of case. He provides a free consultation, including evenings and weekends by appointment, at their offices in Lenexa, Kansas or Grandview, Missouri offices. Call today at 1-800-734-3771, 913-681-5566 or 816-966-0099.